Do you have an injury from a fall, chronic pain from years on the basketball team or a disease that has slowly started to take a toll on your body? All of these can be reasons your doctor may recommend orthopedic surgery. Surgery of any kind can be scary and, for most people, it can be hard to know where to start the process.
The first step is to choose the right orthopedic surgeon in Las Vegas, NV. But where do you look, what do you look for and what questions should you ask? The following information will help you get started on your journey to finding the right orthopedic surgeon for you. Let’s get started.
Step 1: Ask for referrals
The best place to start any journey is by getting advice from someone you trust and, if possible, someone who has been down this road before you. Asking for referrals is step one in your search for the right orthopedic surgeon. There are a few places you can ask for a referral:
- Your clinician (primary care physician): Ask your doctor whom he or she would recommend and why. Most doctors often have acquaintances in the field that they trust.
- Friends and family: If you know someone who has had orthopedic surgery, ask them if they would recommend their surgeon. If the answer is yes, great! If the answer is no, at least you know whom to stay away from.
- Your insurance company: It’s often a good idea to check with your insurer for referrals, or cross reference referrals you already have, since they can recommend someone that is in your network.
Step 2: Evaluate the surgeon’s credentials
Once you have a handful of options, it’s time to take the next step in your journey: evaluate the surgeon’s credentials. You should check the surgeon’s education, additional training and other credentials. You should particularly check if the surgeon is board certified, and by which association.
Step 3: Meet with the surgeon
For the last step of your journey, you will meet with the surgeon. You should be prepared to discuss your case and have a list of questions for the surgeon. Here are a few examples:
- Do you have experience with cases similar to mine?
- What are the benefits and risks associated with the procedure?
- Where will the surgery be performed?
When asking these questions, you should not only pay attention to the answers, but to how the surgeon responds. If they seem impatient or annoyed, this is not the surgeon for you. Overall, if you don’t click with your surgeon, it’s okay to try someone else. Above all, you should feel confident in your surgeon’s capabilities.
By following these few steps, you will be well on your way toward finding the right orthopedic surgeon in Las Vegas, NV for you. While you are searching, be sure to call Bernard Ong, M.D. With his extensive experience and training in the field, Dr. Ong is a great choice for your orthopedic surgery. Reach out today to schedule a consultation!
Categorized in: Orthopedic Surgeon
This post was written by Writer