Orthopedic shoes used to be the target of a lot of jokes, because while they were certainly functional, they definitely weren’t particularly attractive or stylish. As such, their popularity declined for a while, despite their ability to provide some very valuable benefits to the wearer.
Today, the designs have evolved, and you’re able to find orthopedic shoes in much more stylish designs. This means that if you have foot problems, or an orthopedic doctor in Las Vegas, NV recommends you wear these shoes, there’s no longer any style-related excuse to go without them.
Here’s a look at just a few of the many reasons why these types of shoes are so beneficial:
- Support: Orthopedic shoes are known for providing excellent support for the arches. They also provide some extra cushion to your heels, and can help you realign your foot if you’ve been having issues in that area. Without proper support or alignment, you can develop issues such as plantar fasciitis or flat foot problems.
- Correction of foot problems: Orthopedic shoes preserve arches and help you realign your feet, which can make them a solution to foot problems you’ve already been having, and not just a preventative measure. There are some major foot issues that can develop from simply not wearing the proper shoes.
- Reduce pain: The average person will walk at least 5,000 to 10,000 steps in a day. If you’re wearing poor-fitting or uncomfortable shoes that don’t provide enough support during that time, that’s a lot of damage you could be doing to your feet. Orthopedic shoes ensure your toes have the proper amount of space to maneuver around comfortably inside your shoes, and they’ll come in a wider variety of lengths and widths to prevent your feet from rubbing up against the insides.
- Increased mobility: For people who have problems with chronic pain or foot issues, mobility can be a major problem. Wearing the proper footwear can make it easier for people dealing with these problems to go about their days and become more mobile again, which adds a sense of freedom to their everyday lives.
- Blood flow: Anyone who suffers from nerve pain (a common side effect of diabetes) can greatly benefit from orthopedic shoes. These shoes are comfortable and provide outstanding arch support, but also help to increase blood flow. This is because the shoes are designed in such a way that they ensure the foot has plenty of room to move around and function healthily. In some extreme circumstances, these shoes can be part of treatment methods implemented to help diabetics avoid losing a foot.
These are just some of the biggest reasons why orthopedic doctors in Las Vegas, NV will so frequently recommend orthopedic shoes, especially for people who are already having chronic issues with their feet and with nerve pain. If you’re interested in learning more about these shoes and their benefits, we encourage you to contact the office of Bernard Ong, M.D. today with your questions. We look forward to helping you!
Categorized in: Orthopedic Doctor
This post was written by Writer